The EAPPC-BEAMS-MG conference will take place in Biarritz, France, from 29 August to 2 September. Scientists and engineers in the pulsed power physics and technology domain will converge to discuss several topics, such as generators and components, pulsed power applications, high power microwaves, and radio frequency sources. Also on the agenda are topics focused on high-energy density physics and technology, particle beam technology, and ultrahigh magnetic field generation and applications.
During the conference, participants will discuss several important applications and their corresponding commercial opportunities. These include the reduction of pollutants from fossil fuels, the application of pulsed plasma and electric field techniques for water treatment, as well as food sterilisation and cancer treatment. In addition, novel pulsed techniques for high power microwaves, and the newest results related to fusion physics and technology developed from major national research centres, will also be examined at length.
Commenting on DERC’s participation in this event, Dr Nicolas Mora, Director of DERC’s Electromagnetic Effects research team, had this to say: “As we have commenced our scientific production in the area of pulsed power, it is of strategic importance that we participate in technical meetings abroad. The EAPPC conference brings together the most prestigious universities and research institutions in Europe. We think it is a good opportunity to showcase DERC’s initial contributions to this field and get feedback from colleagues and experts.”
DERC has been working on projects involving fast discharge technologies with semiconductors and gases over the last year. For this meeting, the research team will demonstrate its progress on these projects and present the following papers:
- Title: Preliminary Multiphysics Modeling of a 1m Sandwiched Electromagnetic Accelerator Prototype
- Authors: Mae Al Mansoori, Abdul Baba, Fernando Albarracin-Vargas, David Martinez, Gideon Nimo Appiah, Juan Galvis, Mohammed Al Kaabi, Abdulla Al Ali, Chaouki Kasmi, and Nicolas Mora
- Date: Monday, 30 August, Session #P1-16, 3:00 pm – 5:00 pm (GST)
- Title: Design and Modelling of a 6 GW Tesla Transformer-based Pulsed Generator for Vircator Studies
- Authors: Gideon Nimo Appiah, Ernesto Neira, David Martinez, Fernando Albarracin-Vargas, Felix Vega, Chaouki Kasmi, and Nicolas Mora
- Title: Comparative Analysis of Capacitive Energy Source Topologies for an Electromagnetic Accelerator
- Date: Tuesday, 31 August, Session #P2, 3:00 pm – 5:00 pm (GST)
Talking about DERC’s sponsorship and the event, Prof. Laurent Pecastaing, General Chair of the EAPPC-BEAMS-MG conference, said: “We are delighted to welcome TII’s Directed Energy Research Centre to our conference. The conference will provide an up-to-date overview of the most recent achievements in our field, and serve as an opportunity to exchange scientific and technical information with industry, academic institutions, and major research organisations. COVID-19 has made everybody’s lives more difficult, including forcing us to postpone this event several times. But we are now adapting, and we are glad that this event can finally take place as previously planned in Bellevue Biarritz Congress Hall in Biarritz, France. The hybrid mode of the conference will allow everyone to attend and benefit from all the sessions and to fully interact with one another.”
With over 200 people from 18 different nationalities already registered to attend, the organisation committee looks forward to a successful conference.
Click here to register and attend this unique event.